Early Bird Offer
*SAVE $200 pp when you book before 31 July 2020 on departures up to 30 April 2021.
Choose how much kayaking and walking you want to do on this fabulous combo trip with one night at each of our beachfront lodgesat Torrent Bay and Meadowbank Homestead at Awaroa. Kayak the sheltered southern coast, Tonga Island Marine Reserve to Kaiteriteri. Walk the isolated northern beaches Totaranui to Onetahuti.
*Please note that kayaking and walking times are approximate. Your guide can arrange boat transfers if you would like to shorten the amount you do each day.
- Accommodation in share twin/double room with ensuite bathroom, including wonderful hot showers and all bedding.
- Lodge luggage bag (yours to keep) - 40 litre, sports-bag style.
- Available to borrow: 30 litre day pack. Bring your own if your prefer.
- Delicious fresh meals prepared by our skilled Lodge Hosts. From lunch on your departure day to lunch on your final day.
- 3-course dinner
- breakfast (cooked or continental),
- picnic lunch
- hot drinks and fruit juice
- snacks and fresh fruit
- Scheduled coach transfers return from Nelson and Motueka.
- Scenic cruise along the length of the spectacular Abel Tasman coast.
- Travel on scheduled boat services so you choose how much walking or kayaking you want each day.
- Luggage transfers and luggage storage.
- Track notes, maps and advice from our expert Guides to help you design each day to be as active or relaxed as you wish.
- Kayaking options include top quality kayaking gear, with full instructions and safety brief: stable double kayak, buoyancy aid, spray jacket and dry bags to keep gear dry. (We cannot guarantee to keep delicate cameras or electronic gear dry so these are taken at your risk in the kayak).
Day 1: Nelson/Motueka to Awaroa via Totaranui
Board our comfortable Vista Cruise to travel the length of the golden Abel Tasman coast from Kaiteriteri north to Totaranui, relaxing on the viewing decks and enjoying refreshments from the cafe.
From Totaranui, walk through mature native forest and along secluded beaches to the breathtaking expanse of Awaroa Inlet where you’ll reach Meadowbank Homestead – a faithful recreation of the Wilson family's original home on the ‘finest site in the bay’.
Scenic drive to Kaiteriteri – 1 hour from Nelson, or 20 mins from Motueka
Cruise Kaiteriteri to Totaranui – 1 hour 40 mins
* Walk Totaranui to Awaroa – 2.5 hours (7km/4.5 miles) including tidal crossing; maximum elevation 100m/340ft
Accommodation: Meadowbank Homestead at Awaroa
Meals included: lunch, afternoon tea, dinner
Pick up in Nelson (10.15–10.45am) or Motueka (11.30am).
If you are self-driving please meet at our office by 11.30am.
Please note that Wednesday departures and some low season departures have an earlier start. See Start/Finish Times (below) for more details.
11.30am: Meet your guide at our Motueka office for a welcome briefing with time for last-minute luggage organisation, before departing to Kaiteriteri by coach.
1pm: Vista Cruise departs Kaiteriteri.
2.40pm: Arrive Totaranui to walk to Awaroa Inlet. Either walk, if the tide is out, or take a boat ride across the stunning expanse of the largest inlet on the coast.
5pm (approx.): Enjoy a warm welcome at Meadowbank Homestead at Awaroa, right on the edge of the inlet. Freshen up with a hot shower in your ensuite room while your hosts prepare a delicious evening meal. Local beer and wine is available for purchase at our in-house bar.
Day 2: Awaroa to Torrent Bay
Wake to breakfast overlooking Meadowbank’s gardens and the waters of Abel Tasman’s largest tidal estuary. Walk over a forested saddle to Onetahuti where your guide will settle you into your stable, double kayak with full instructions and safety briefing. You’ll then kayak through Tonga Island Marine Reserve and explore hidden inlets on the way to Torrent Bay.
Walk from Awaroa to Onetahuti – 1.5 hours (5km/3 miles); max. elevation 85m/280ft
Sea kayak from Onetahuti to Torrent Bay – 4 hours (10km/6 miles)
Accommodation: Torrent Bay Lodge
Meals included: breakfast, morning & afternoon tea, lunch, dinner
9.30am: Depart Awaroa for the scenic walk to Onetahuti, which features a beautiful boardwalk and bridge designed by local iwi (Maori tribe). Stroll along the golden sands and enjoy refreshments supplied by your guide.
11am: After instructions and safety brief, your guide will lead the way to Tonga Island Marine Reserve. Weather permitting, kayak to the seal colony where New Zealand fur seals breed. Floating on clear, turquoise waters paddle past Tonga Quarry and the Tonga Arches, where your guide will share stories about the unusual granite features and relics from the historic quarry.
12 noon: Stop for lunch at sheltered Bark Bay, where you can take time out to explore, swim or relax on the golden sand. After lunch, continue beach hopping along the coast with picture-postcard views, including the Falls River and Frenchman’s Bay.
4.30pm (approx.): Paddle into beautiful Torrent Bay with its village of beachfront holiday houses including our Torrent Bay Lodge where your ensuite room and evening meal awaits.
Day 3: Torrent Bay to Kaiteriteri/Motueka/Nelson
Wake up to morning light on the golden sands of Torrent Bay and a hearty breakfast to set you up for paddling to Te Pukatea Bay and past the islands of the Astrolabe Roadstead to Kaiteriteri.
* Sea kayak from Torrent Bay to Kaiteriteri – 4.5 hours (12km)
Scenic drive from Kaiteriteri – 20 mins to Motueka or 1 hour to Nelson
Meals included: breakfast, morning tea, lunch
9.30am: Launch your kayak from Torrent Bay and paddle southwards along the coast while your guide shares stories of early explorers, shows you bays and beaches, and introduces you to the predator-free wildlife sanctuary of Adele Island. If the wind is with you, you may get to hoist a specially designed sail to ride the sea breeze.
12 noon: Stop for lunch and a rest at a sheltered beach, then continue your journey through azure waters to the famous Kaiteriteri beach.
3.30pm: Arrive at Kaiteriteri where our driver will meet you for the return journey to Kaiteriteri.
4pm: Arrive Motueka.
5.30–6pm: Arrive Nelson.
- Please confirm times with us before you book connecting airline flights.
- The direction of this trip may be reversed on some departures with earlier pick up in Nelson (7.15–7.40am) and Motueka (8.15am) for Vista Cruise departure from Kaiteriteri at 9.20am.
- The earlier pick-up applies to most Wednesday departures and all departures after NZ Daylight Saving ends at the beginning of April.
- If Start/Finish times don't suit your itinerary, please contact us to make alternative arrangements. All our itineraries can be flexible to accommodate your needs or schedule.
Other important information
- Kayaking and walking each day is optional. You are welcome to travel on any of our scheduled ferry services. This flexibility is ideal for couples of groups with different interests and abilities.
- Our 3 Day Guided Walk runs at the same time as our 3 Day Kayak & Walk so members of your traveling party can book different options, meeting up at the Lodges in the evening.
- We reserve the right to alter itineraries, timetables and vessel types.
- All travel is subject to weather and tides which may cause delay or cancellation.
Low Season Itinerary
From May to November this itinerary may be altered to make the most of our winter sunshine, with two night's accommodation at Torrent Bay Lodge.