This is a real escape to a stunning part of our country many Kiwis haven't been and somewhere everyone who goes falls in love with. A five day adventure from Auckland to stunning Aotea Great Barrier Island, one of the Hauraki Gulf's real gems. The tour includes the wonderful return scenic flight to Aotea Great Barrier Island. Enjoy a leisurely holiday exploring the bush lined roads, coastline and harbours in our own MoaTours coach. You'll love the opportunity to meet local artisans, guides and island personalities.
- All transport by comfortable, air conditioned coach (maximum of 18 travellers).
- Services of your knowledgeable guide.
- Quality accommodation chosen for a “sense of place".
· Return scenic flight over the islands of the Hauraki Gulf
· Lunch with Marion at the Elephant Craft Gallery
· Visit Peter and Fenella’s Black Cow gallery
· Dinners are privately hosted by Val and Francis at Shoal Bay Estate
· Cruise with Chris around Port FitzRoy to Kaikoura Island
· Meet the custodians of Glenfern Sanctuary Regional Park
· With a local guide visit Whangaparapara Harbour and Oripu
· The Milk, Honey & Grain Museum reveals the Island’s history
· Meet Gerald and Caity at Okiwi Passion organic gardens
· See the beaches and walk along the bush tracks
· Visit the Heritage & Arts Village Trust in Claris
All Activities & Entrance Fees Are Included
Day 1: Fly to Aotea Great Barrier Island – Claris – Puriri Bay – Tryphena
We take a scenic flight over the Hauraki Gulf Marine Park to Claris. Drive in our coach to Puriri Bay to meet Marion for lunch at her Elephant Craft Gallery and later visit Peter and Fenella’s Black Cow Gallery. We stay in relaxed, island style accommodation at Sunset Waterfront Lodge and Shoal Bay Estate for four nights on Tryphena Harbour and dine at Shoal Bay.
Sunset Waterfront Lodge, 5 Mulberry Grove Road, Great Barrier Island / Aotea Phone: 09 429 0051
Shoal Bay Estate, Phone: 80 Shoal Bay Road, Great Barrier Island / Aotea Phone: 09 429 0543
Day 2: Tryphena – Okupu Blind Bay – Whangaparapara
With our guide, Russell Scott, hear the island’s history from a local’s perspective. Visit Okupu, Blind Bay and stroll bush trails. At Whangaparapara the tiny museum records how this peaceful harbour was once home to gold and silver mining, timber milling and a whaling station.
Day 3: Tryphena – Port FitzRoy cruise – Okiwi
We head over the ranges to FitzRoy Harbour to meet Chris and cruise on his launch around the inlets of the harbour and out to Kaikoura Island. We lunch on board. At Glenfern jetty we meet custodians Brad and Bridget to hear about their conservation efforts in this predator-fenced regional park sanctuary. We return to Tryphena in the late afternoon. Nearby Gerald and Caity at Okiwi Passion show us around their organic gardens.
Day 4: Tryphena Harbour
A day to relax and enjoy Island time. We explore Tryphena with our local guide – sitting back in deck chairs and fishing off the wharf and doing a spot of beachcombing. After a long lunch at Shoal Bay Estate there’s free time this afternoon before our final dinner.
Day 5: Tryphena – Medlands Beach – Claris – Auckland
Stroll along Medlands Beach, a favourite spot for surfers and in Claris meet Dave Watson at the Milk, Honey and Grain museum, a treasure trove of memorabilia of the early settlers. We catch up with Vivian at her sculpture gallery in Claris and visit the Community Heritage and Art Village and museum. In the mid afternoon we catch our flight back to Auckland.