Notes on Vancouver
- Vancouver Airport to City takes 15 minutes (can get train for cheap).
- Vancouver population 650,000 people.
- 3rd largest province to Ontario & Quebec.
- 2nd largest country after Russia.
- Canada population 36 million.
- Vancouver temperature – average 21o in Summer, & 7o in Winter.
- Very rarely snow in Vancouver , 1-2 times a year, white Christmas about once every 8 years.
- Sometimes called ‘temporate rainforest’.
- 3 local ski hills 15 mins from downtown.
- Average house price in Vancouver is 1.002 million (1 million, 2 thousand dollars).
- Houses get dearer as get into city.
- No free way system in city limits.
- City 2 square kms – over 90,000 people live here.
- Petrol currently 1.379 CAD a litre (about $1.80NZD).
- 20% of British Columbia own their own business.
- Granville Street – main entertainment street with night clubs & some restaurants.
- Everything in downtown very walkable – Up to 30 mins walk. Safe even at night.
- Pets are allowed in most hotels – they can stay in your room with you, only in rooms on certain floors & you pay a cleaning fee.
... donuts, chocolate, soup, salami... walking tour of Gastown & Chinatown... Rocky Mountaineer train... Grouse Mountain - very high - lots of snow - big gondola... Horseshoe Bay for a sea safari - trip out on a ‘zodiac’... beautiful Butchart Gardens... More to come...
We’ve arrived at the Rocky Mountaineer Station in Vancouver for dinner & tour of the train. Such a treat to see this...
It’s been a great 3 days... ferry to Vancouver Island and Victoria... ziplining in Sooke... Royal BC Museum... floatplane ride...